2,791 new troll suits in 2014
$1 trillion lost wealth
Trolling suits accounted for 61% of patent suits in 2014
1. Startups are responsible for all net job growth over the last thirty years and the rise of the patent troll model is threatening that continued growth.
2. Engine research tells us that for every new high-tech job, 4.3 other jobs are created in a local economy
3. The majority of companies targeted by patent trolls have less than $10 million in revenue. When small businesses face dubious multimillion dollar lawsuits, our innovation economy suffers.
4. Non-practicing entities - or patent trolls - filed 2,791 new suits in 2014, up 500% from 2005. And those types of lawsuits are expensive, costing defendants $1 trillion in lost wealth from 1990-2010 alone.
5. Lawsuits by patent trolls accounted for nearly two-thirds of all new patent suits filed last year, and over half of all new patent defendants. This is a perversion of the justice system.
6. We are facing an epidemic and American businesses are paying the price. We need leadership and action - now.
Tell your twitter followers that you just called your Senator to #fixpatents